We don’t get it for the most part, at least I don’t.
- We give, but not always.
- We help when we see an absurd need, but not always on the little needs which very often have the greater impact.
- We embrace, for a moment, but we don’t hold them as long as they’d like us to.
- We’re tolerant, to a point.
- We forgive, the worthy.
- We feed the poor, at Christmas.
- We see someone cold, and remember our extra coat needs dry cleaned.
- We go to church, but we forget that we are the church.
- We proudly proclaim Christianity, but we forget the humility of Christ.
- We’re grateful for sacrifice, but not always willing.
- We’ll post a word of encouragement, but seldom speak it.
These words were heavy on my heart this morning. I need to be more. I need to look around me and see what God sees for I have been that sight in a willing soul at times when people blessed me beyond what I could have imagined. We do what we feel is enough, but not always.
Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.